Wednesday, August 29, 2012

My Genealogy Address Book

While many people embrace electronic methods of organizing information, I'm very old-fashioned when it comes to certain things.

One of the most useful objects in my genealogical research is my address book.

This isn't my personal address book, but one specifically dedicated to addresses for town and city clerks, libraries, and distant cousins who also research.

Each entry has a name, address, telephone number, and pertinent notes.  I keep track of things such as fees and years of coverage for vital records at a town hall, hours for a library, or make note of the family a particular cousin is researching, or the genealogical society to which they are connected.

Of course, information changes quickly, and what was accurate last year may be outdated this year.  That is why I write everything in pencil.  Before I write to a town or city clerk, I Google the town's website to verify the mailing address.

Some town clerks have an email address available.  If I find one, I make use of that for my initial inquiry about a particular record and about fees.  After all, a town that charged $5.00 for a vital record last year might charge $7.00 this year.

I'm sure all the handheld electronic devices out there also offer templates for this sort of thing too.  I could probably use Microsoft Outlook on my laptop, but I'm so accustomed to referring to books, I would never, ever think to check my computer for the information.

So, for me, the old-fashioned spiral-bound address book dedicated to genealogy works.


Copyright (c) 2012 Wendy L. Callahan

1 comment:

  1. Wendy you are a multitalented lady.Everyone wants to use updated things whereas you believe in old trends.Genealogy records are very popular here. Your address book has information related to you.

    ReplyDelete