Wednesday, December 7, 2011

December: A Back-up Reminder

What a busy month!  With my son's birthday, my birthday (today - funny to open my Legacy file to see my age changed), the Winter Solstice (our holiday, also known as Yule), our wedding anniversary, Christmas, New Year's, and a few birthdays for friends and family scattered through the month, it can be a bit overwhelming.

One thing I really want to say is this: Back up your files.

I keep several important files on my laptop.  Well, they're important to me!  My writing, genealogy documents and database, and homeschooling documents are things I would hate to lose. 

There really is no better time than the end of the year to schedule a back-up.  You've worked hard all year.  Maybe, like me, you've been a good doobie and backed up every few months (the last time I did was September).  Perhaps you're even more conscientious about that than I could ever hope to be, and you do it monthly.  Maybe you think about it, only to have it slip your mind month after month.

So I'm reminding you to either back-up your files or to mark a date in red on your calendar to do it. 

Personally, I have two novels I wrote between September and now.  One has undergone a rigorous process - through alpha readers who gave feedback on the initial draft, through an amazing beta reader who critiqued the revised second draft, and then through gamma readers who found nothing problematic in the way of plot or character-development, and who basically helped perfect the manuscript by finding small proofreading errors.

That manuscript is as polished as can be after an intense few months and currently on query to literary agents.  It would destroy me to lose it because of something bad happening to my laptop.

Genealogically, I have added a significant amount of source citations to my database, mostly on my husband's ancestors.  It would be terrible to lose that and have to retrace my steps.

Think about everything you have put into your computer and then back it up.  Consider it one of the best ways to make sure your new year really is happy!

Copyright (c) 2011 Wendy L. Callahan

No comments:

Post a Comment