Friday, July 29, 2011

Ideas & Research in the Works

Would you believe that I spent the past month working on a 13,224-piece puzzle?  I know.  Insane, right?   But I adore puzzles.  They relax me, and this was simply gorgeous.  I won't make it again until we move back to the U.S., where I can assemble it, glue it and frame it.

Now that I've put the puzzle away, I'm ready to get back to the things I normally do every day - some homeschooling, some writing, and of course some genealogy.

I like to organize my day to make sure all 3 of these things happen each and every day, in addition to keeping the house clean, getting my son out to the playground, library and his Hapkido class, spending time with my husband... and my daily 2 p.m. "appointment" with Antiques Roadshow on the Yesterday channel is a must.  ;)

That's the time when I let my son play video games upstairs, while I curl up on the couch downstairs with a cup of hot chocolate, tea or flavored coffee, or a bowl of ice cream, and "ooh" and "aah" over some of the items showcased by the experts on the show.

Last weekend, we purchased a sideboard over in Newmarket (the British home of horse racing).  The seller thinks it is from the 1930's.  I cannot even begin to guess, but this is what it looks like:







In the third picture, you can see it's lovely legs and the rungs from front to back.

The dinette set is Meier and Pohlmann of St. Louis, which manufactured furniture from 1891-1959.  I don't know how old the set is; I just know that somebody dared to paint stencils on the wood and re-upholster the chairs.  It's an awful red and green theme, but it matches the flat's hideous curtains, as well as the burgundy red sheet we keep over our futon and the green blanket we have thrown over that.  So, oddly enough, everything comes together in a red and green theme, which we really don't like...  But it works.

I have black-and-white toile everywhere, however - on the sideboard you see the black-and-white toile cloth I picked up back home during a visit to Onset, Massachusetts, and my Nana's "Royal Mail" dishes in black and white.  I also have a lovely little black-and-white toile table that I found at the thrift shop on RAF Mildenhall:




What luck!  I was actually wearing matching shoes and pretty much screamed when I saw the table outside the thrift shop.  I was fast to claim it.  Now it is a little love altar (gryphon to represent my husband, fire fairy to represent me, and my little wedding arrangement, our wedding candles, and a rose quartz are on it).

My husband and I are both fans of antiques.  He loves the 1950's, while I adore anything prior to that decade.  Our home reflects it, and it seems only natural for a genealogist to embrace history in a variety of ways - not just personal, social and world history, but physical history as well.

So, I owe you some postings.  This, I know.  All of you have been fairly prolific, and I read your posts every day!  Me?  Not so much.

This weekend I will be focusing on some much-loved brick walls in my research.

That's right; I love 'em!  They're so familiar to me, and even though it frustrates me to not find the answers, there's something about coming back to those brick walls time and again that makes me happy.  Perhaps it is the *possibility* of finally breaking through that is so enticing...

Also coming up will be an exploration of an old English cemetery and a continuation of the Ahnentafel postings.  Those are on my ex-husband's family, which I am still researching on behalf of my ex and our son.  Of course there must be additional Ahnentafels for my new husband, because a whole new dimension has been added to my family in the form of Irish and Germans who settled in the mid-west United States.

You can imagine this causes some linguistic conflict when we go out for a treat.  He might call them "sprinkles", but I prefer "jimmies" on my ice cream!  ^.^


Copyright (c) 2011 Wendy L. Callahan

3 comments:

  1. Wendy, I love your sideboard, and your photos of your new English home. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy

    I am impressed with all the information you have found through your research. I wonder how we are related as Guy sylvester is my great grandfather and Goldena is my Grandmother and Gail "Edwina" is my Mom.I am thinking your husband is one of my Uncle Buds grandkids. Also I am curious as our native American heritage on my Grams side???



    Thanks

    Darryl O'Day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Daryl,

    My ex-husband, David Hawksley, is a great-grandson of Guy Sylvester. David's dad is Alan.

    The Native American heritage is through David's mother, and not in the Hawksley family.

    Even though David and I are divorced, we are still friends and I continue to research the family because he is interested, and for our son. If you want to talk about the research and share anything, or learn anything else, I am more than happy to chat. You can reach me at autumndivona AT yahoo DOT com. :)

    ReplyDelete