Saturday, June 4, 2011

Research in England, part 2

Now that I am here, with genealogical To-Do list in hand, it is time to get started!  I have had a month to settle in and celebrate the release of my book (not of interest, unless you dig vampire fiction), so now I am ready to see what is next in my research.

My first priority was to see if there was a Family History Center nearby.  I did a search of Family History Centers for Suffolk county in England.  I found only two.  The closest one is in Ipswich, a little over an hour away from me, and open by appointment only on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I then turned my focus to the neighboring county of Norfolk. About an hour in the other direction is the Dereham Family History Center.

Slightly closer to me is the Family History Center in King's Lynn, which is only open by appointment, but has more varied hours, including Saturdays.  That would be worth the trip, since I know the area, having passed through there twice to get to the bird breeder (we purchased a caique!), and once visiting the Butterfly & Wildlife Park, which is in a little village in King's Lynn.

However, the closest one is Station Road in Thetford.  It's a straight shot down the A11 and roughly a 30 minute trip.  Their hours are completely by-appointment-only, but depending on their flexibility - especially if I can visit on a Saturday or a U.S. holiday - this should not be a problem.

When I was in Delaware, I relied heavily on the Family History Center in Dover.  It was only 15-20 minute drive from my home and open on Saturdays.  There were very few things I enjoyed more than a quiet Saturday morning in a darkened corner of the FHC, scrolling through microfilm.  Even with the Family History Library digitizing and indexing their records, I think the FHC is still a vital tool.

Do you use the FHC? 


Copyright (c) 2011 Wendy L. Callahan

No comments:

Post a Comment