Thursday, February 3, 2011

Why Genealogy?

There are many people out there who want to research their families' roots, and then there are people who think it is a pointless waste of time.  Whether one cares or not about their ancestry is entirely personal and subjective.  Everyone's reasons are their own.


For me, family is more important than I had ever imagined when I was a child.  It really hit me this week when my younger sister (I'm the eldest of 3 - me, my sister, and our half-brother who is much younger than us; all 3 of us have the talent of our author/musician/photographer mother) came into my room and looked at a drawing hanging on my wall.  She said, "Did you have this drawn for you?"


I told her that, no, I had drawn it myself.  She said it was really good, and it made me think back to when I was 10-years-old and drawing horses.  I remembered those childish drawings, and realized that my sister had seen my talent mature.

Then I thought about the fact that I had begun writing at the age of 8.  I would write little songs, poems and stories.  I became more serious about it at the age of 10, and never stopped writing.  Genealogy became a passion at the age of 12.

My sister saw these things - these interests and talents of mine, and has seen them grow.  She has seen my stories go from hopeful imaginings in black and white composition notebooks, to a full-fledged book deal, as I am now under contract to a publisher.

If I were to leave this physical world tomorrow, my sister could tell my son the story of my life.

That is what genealogists do.  We share, posthumously, the lives of people whose stories might never be told otherwise.


 Copyright (c) 2011 Wendy L. Callahan

No comments:

Post a Comment