Friday, March 5, 2010

DNA = More High Hopes for Hawksley

I had my mtDNA tested a few years ago and enjoyed learning that my maternal lineage puts me in Haplogroup H1.

Because I am a woman, this test goes along the following line:

1.  Wendy Lee (Wood) Hawksley

2.  My mother (a journalist currently living in New Hampshire)

3.  My maternal grandmother (currently living in Massachusetts)

4.  Lia Galfre (my great-grandmother)

5.  Ernesta Bergamasco (great-great grandmother, born in Moneglia, Italy)

6.  Giabatta (surname unknown, 3x great-grandmother)

I do not include their married names, because that isn't what matters.  What matters is who these women were at birth.  The men they married do not figure into my mtDNA.  I love that about mtDNA - that heritage that can only be passed from mother to child.

Of course, women get the short end of the stick with regard to DNA testing.  We do not receive the Y-DNA from our fathers. Yet men get both the Y and mtDNA.

I call foul, Mother Nature!  ;)

All tongue-in-cheek joking aside (yet appropriate, considering how DNA is obtained!), tonight my husband joined the Hawksley DNA Project at Family Tree DNA.

Yours truly is the Group Administrator, and it was very exciting to order his DNA test for both his Y and mtDNA.  He is the first member of the project, which seeks to compare the Y-DNA of Hawksley men, and to determine if they are related.

Because Hawksley is not a common name, I earnestly hope that other men with this surname will join the project and be tested. 

For me and my husband, it will help us focus our research if we can say, "Ah-ha!  So you do match up to the Hawksleys of _________."

For other Hawksleys, it will connect them to the cousins they have here in America, from the brother and sisters who were born in New Brunswick, then migrated to Aroostook County, Maine.

My husband's Y-DNA lineage is:

1.  David Alan Hawksley

2.  Father

3.  Paternal grandfather

4.  Guy Sylvester Hawksley (great-grandfather, b. 1893 in Bancroft, ME, d. 1976 in Webster, MA)

5.  William Roger Hawksley (great-great grandfather, b. 1852 in Richmond, NB, d. 1925 in Mars Hill, ME)

6.  John Goodwin Hawksley (3x great-grandfather, b. 1810 in Fredericton, NB, d. 1893, Mars Hill, Maine)

7.  Hawksley ("an Englishman" who married Mary Goodwin)

Meanwhile, since my husband does not believe in doing anything halfway, he decided to order the combination Y-DNA and mtDNA test to cover both lineages. 

In all honesty, I probably have not pushed as far back on his maternal lineage as I might be able to...  So it will be my focus this weekend.  This is his maternal lineage:

1.  David Alan Hawksley

2.  Mother (a teacher in Massachusetts)

3.  Maternal grandmother (passed away in 1997)

4.  Dora Helen Agatha Charbonneau (great-grandmother, b. 1892 in Putnam, CT, d. 1963 in Putnam, CT)

5.  Melvina Lussier (great-great grandmother, b. abt. 1864 in Canada, d. 1897 in Putnam, CT)

6.  Malvina Boucher (3x great-grandmother, b. 1833 in Canada, d. 1895 in Putnam, CT)

7.  Reine Bousquet (4x great-grandmother, b. abt 1799 in Canada)

It seems to me this would be a good weekend to spend more time getting to know Malvina Boucher and Reine Bousquet.  Will they lead me to Quebec or Acadia?  Or perhaps both?

Meanwhile, I am pleased to share that I may actually have live people to "talk genealogy" with as of tomorrow!  I am facilitating a genealogy discussion group at the community center on base.  The intention is to have the discussion group once a month. 

I am working on an outline of possible topics, and will also ask for feedback from the people who show up tomorow.  Some of my ideas include a research session, where we all bring our laptops and spend time working together, as well as a group trip to the Family History Library in Pyongtaek.  I want to know what other people are interested in doing and what sorts of activities they might want to lead for the group.

Of course I'm nervous that I will be sitting in a big room talking to myself...

But I believe at least one person here is into genealogy; I bring my read Mayflower Quarterly, Family Tree Magazines, and New England Ancestors magazines and leave them on the book swap shelves at the library, and somebody has been taking them.  Perhaps a few somebodies.

It would be great if there are people with similar interests and areas of research who attend the group; perhaps they will come away with research buddies!

So, yet another thing for which I have high hopes.

All these high hopes...  But, I promise you, realistic expectations.

I'm a very logical person; I put head above heart.  Just as Anne says in the movie verson of "Anne of Green Gables":


I know. I can't help flying up on the wings of anticipation. It's as glorious as soaring through a sunset... almost pays for the thud.

My response is more along the lines of Marilla Cuthbert's:

Well, maybe it does. But I'd rather walk calmly along and do without flying AND thud.
However, if things go well, I don't mind getting carried away with excitment after the fact.  :)

3 comments:

  1. I hope you have a good turn out tomorrow. I haven't had my mtDNA tested because I don't believe it will really tell me much but I would love to have both my brother's and a maternal 1st cousin's yDNA done to see where it leads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post is being copied at Easy Genealogy splog. Until an hour ago they were not even linking back. now they at least link back to your blog but I'm not sure whether you want this.
    http://easy-genealogy.com/genealogy/new-england-genealogy-dna-more-high-hopes-for-hawksley
    I emailed them a cease and desist and they took my posts off.
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Evelyn!!! I have been keeping an eye on them and didn't think they would necessarily go for any of my posts. But, still...

    How did you word the cease and desist?

    ReplyDelete