Friday, January 29, 2010

Mayflower work

A woman's work is never done.

I have been working on my aunt's application to the Mayflower Society and finally have gotten my rear in gear to finish it!

My own was done 5 years ago, and I have so many supplementals to submit, it isn't even funny.  One of these days, all 60+ of my Mayflower lines will be on file with the Society.

My aunt and I share a few generations of her line back to William Brewster.  This is one of the reasons I feel fortunate to have these in my home:


You see, the wonderful challenges of the 52 Weeks to Better Genealogy have been great for me - they have gotten me to actually check our library here, and I have learned that there are very few books available.  They are all general genealogy guides, which might be nice for reference on occasion.

However, my own personal genealogy library at home is of the greatest use to me.



I think you know what these are.  For those who don't, the Mayflower "silver books" cover the first 5 generations of many of the people who were passengers during that fateful 1620 voyage.  I own the volumes pertaining to my ancestors.



The pink books are "in progress" books.  I have William Brewster, George Soule, and also the Francis Cooke book in white (as well as Robert Bartlett, Richard Church, Philip Delano, and Robert Cushman, who were not Mayflower passengers, but they and their descendants married into Mayflower families).

Then you see my assorted books on royal ancestors and various New England families (Benson, Bartlett, and Kempton).

My aunt's paperwork needed to be organized:



This was accomplished, despite my cat's persistent efforts to munch on birth, marriage and death records (guess who ended up closed in the laundry room for the time it took me to complete my work).

Now everything is tabbed and in an envelope, ready to go to my aunt so she can submit her application.  I just need to drop it in the mail to her on Monday, and another person can fulfill their wish to belong to a lineage society.

3 comments:

  1. Wendy, I enjoyed your post and especially looking at your books. Hum, if I ever need a look-up in the Alden book, I know where you are! Looks to me that you are a true Mayflower girl. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barbara! I greatly enjoy doing look-ups for people. It is very useful to have the books at my disposal, particularly if I run across a Mayflower lineage while working on my family - it is nice to be able to verify it, since there are so many erroneous trees out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have more books than our Mayflower NH state Historian! You could go into business! I have a few silver and pink books, but not a shelf full!

    ReplyDelete