Saturday, December 26, 2009

Moving into the New Year

After being listed in GeneaBloggers's new blogs today, I looked back at the first post I placed on this blog almost 3 years ago and thought, "Wow!  Things certainly have changed!"

My son turned 7 this month (and I turned 35), thus making it 7 years since I became a stay-at-home mom.  Even though I became passionate about genealogy at the age of 12, and researched sporadically from then until I was 28, I never had the time to dedicate until I swapped full time jobs - from paralegal to mother.

Every day since then, my life has been about indulging my dreams - homeschooling mom, traveling the world, writing, and genealogy.  This year brought the biggest change of all when we moved to South Korea.  2010 will bring yet another big move. 

It is amazing to contrast and compare "then" and "now" as 2010 approaches.  Where were you 5 years ago?  10 years ago?  In life?  In genealogy? 

How will you begin 2010?

I will begin it with - don't laugh - genealogy.

My husband had to work Christmas week, including on the holiday.  However, in a day and a half, he will be home for 6 days.  I will close myself up in the bedroom with my laptop and wireless internet, books and vital records CDs, pedigree charts and plenty of scrap paper.

Every so often I will yell for my husband to bring me a can of ginger ale or some crackers and cheese.  He will entertain our son, take him outside to play, take him for his martial arts class, while I move into 2010 as productively as possible!

And wondering if it is too early to consider how I might spend some of my tax return...  (As a descendant of Hope Howland, I simply must add volume 3 of the John Howland books to my collection!)

4 comments:

  1. I love it, you sound like me! I lock myself in my room, have my laptop, papers, binders, photos etc. all around me! I will be bringing in 2010 right along with you the same way - the best way! My hubby works graveyard. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy, I noticed you have Dodge and Woodbury. I have a Peter Woodbury who m. Sarah Dodge. Are they on your tree? I have two by that name and they are my 8th great grandparents. Hope we can make a connection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello again, Wendy and welcome, welcome, welcome to Geneabloggers!
    I think you will find a lot of "kindred souls" here and hopefully even more people will discover your blog!
    Evelyn in Montreal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wendy - I've been a SAHM for 3.5 years (starting homeschool preschool now), but have certainly not learned to budget my time as effectively as it sounds like you're doing! What's your secret? :-)

    Happy New Year, and welcome to the Geneabloggers "fold!"

    Elizabeth
    Little Bytes of Life

    ReplyDelete