Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Walsh Family - from Ireland to Newfoundland to Brockton, MA

I'm working on my uncle's ancestry. The research on his father and grandfather was the easy part - I obtained vital records from Brockton, MA without a problem. The grandfather then left me wondering where in Newfoundland he had been born, a problem that was easily solved by ordering his form SS-5 and WWI registration card.

This brought me to Colliers, a town in Harbour Main district of Conception Bay, Newfoundland in 1882, researching the Walsh family.

A helpful website has been the Newfoundland Labrador GenWeb. Just select your region and see what is there. I am fortunate that the Harbour Main District is really rich in records.

The other website on which I have relied is Newfoundland's Grand Banks. The baptisms from St. Peter & St. Paul Roman Catholic Church helped me put together the family of my uncle's ancestors, Thomas Walsh and Johanna McDonald.

There were other Walshes there early on and I have no idea if there is any relation to my uncle's family. Today is a good day to work on this file! My uncle is particularly interested to know where in Ireland his ancestors came from before settling in Newfoundland.

I think a trip to Newfoundland first would be an interesting way to trace his family's footsteps!

No comments:

Post a Comment