Monday, April 13, 2009

The Mayflower Quarterly, March 2009

As a member of the Mayflower Society, sometimes I get rather tired of all the mentions of God. I know. My ancestors were uber-Christians. But, after a while... Blaaaah.

So when "The Mayflower Quarterly" arrived today, I did what I always do when it comes to my mailbox (for "New England Ancestors" or "Family Tree Magazine", for that matter): I drew a hot bath and settled in for a nice, long read.

I enjoy each and every issue, but I was enthralled by "A Curious Pilgrim Book of Remedies" by James W. Baker. This article talks about Thomas Lupton's A Thousand Notable Things, a book that had a place in the pilgrims' libraries (Samuel Fuller owned it, then it was apparently passed on to William Brewster).

The remedies read like my own personal Book of Shadows! As a modern-day Pagan, I enjoyed reading about treatments that involved herbs, stones, and more (yes, we still use 'em too!).

So in all that icky religiosity I found something about my ancestors that I could relate to at last! A reliance on Mother Nature's gifts to help us stay healthy and balanced.

No comments:

Post a Comment