Sunday, June 8, 2008

Massachusetts & Italy

Hello my friends.

Exciting news to report!

1. Only 1 month until I return to my hometown in Massachusetts for a 10-day vacation that includes a huge family reunion. This family reunion also means that I will see my mother for the first time in 30 years, and meet my brother.

This will be my LAST chance at in-depth, on-site genealogical research in Massachusetts. Why? Because:

2. We are moving to Italy. This is molto bene! It has been our hope for many years, and now the Air Force is giving us the opportunity. The city in which we will live is a mere 3- to 4-hour drive (well, I expect to take a train!) from my family in Cuneo and elsewhere in the area.

I have several 3rd cousins residing in the town and regions that my great-great grandparents came from - the Piedmonte and Ligurian regions. These cousins are very close in age to me, all being born in the 1960'S and 1970's, and have children close to my son's age.

It will be a thrill to match faces to letters and e-mails, as well as - you guessed it - research my great-great grandparents IN their hometowns of Cuneo and Moneglia, and in San Remo where they lived after their marriage in 1894, but before their emigration to the U.S. in 1899!

Please wish me safe travels (October of this year), a safe time living there, and good luck in my research and journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment