Wednesday, March 26, 2008

How many genealogy files does it take?

We all probably have it - the research file with which we began. Then it was refined. And then we refine it still further...

I am in the midst of that right now. I have taken my research file and now am putting it into a different program, with greater emphasis on accurate sources.

This is not to say that my GED file's sources are not accurate, but rather that I didn't enter as much detail as I could have. Starting from scratch feels good, if time-consuming!

So now instead of noting that an ancestor is found in Mayflower Families volume 18, for example, I will note that AND ensure that a page number is cited. Just an idea of what I'm trying to do - create a much more detailed file. I call it "the scholarly database".

No comments:

Post a Comment