Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The blogeth moveth slowly...

Because I am ever so busy. Besides my life in general (the UU, the coven, my writing, homeschooling, motherhood), I am deeply immersed in verifying my husband's Bartlett line.

Gathering evidence in this instance may be a toughie, because it seems that Burrillville, Rhode Island records in Arnold's Rhode Island VRs are seriously lacking with regards to births. That does not necessarily mean the town doesn't have them; it just means that I may have to puruse a more involved path to confirm this lineage.

Fortunately, the task of the Mayflower Society and Bartlett Society historian is to be of assistance by giving suggestions and pointing potential members in the right direction. And even as a genealogist who is fairly cetain of what she is doing and how to do it, I would rather have a second pair of eyes (or even a third!) and a fellow experienced researcher to point out any potential problems.

This line encounters problems where Nathan Taft married Sarah "Sally" Kempton. There were "no known issue", but this is because they basically disappered from Uxbridge, MA and settled in Burrillville, RI. Worcester County deeds confirm this relocation.

Also, Nathan Taft married a second time to a woman named Elizabeth fairly soon after Sarah's death. The supposed daughter of Sarah and Nathan is Rizpah Taft, who married Eseck Darling.

Rizpah and Eseck (Ezek) had a son, Albert H. Darling, about 1840. There IS an Albert Darling born in 1842 in Rhode Island, but he is a son of Timothy and Pattey. However, if you look at the 1850 census, you will find Albert Darling, a son of Timothy and Patty, AND a different Albert H. Darling in Burrillville, son of Eseck and Rizpah.

Basically, I need to obtain the necessary vitals and where those fail to establish the connection (particularly early vital that did not necessarily list parents, especially mothers' names or maiden names), I will need to turn to probate and deeds, and work my way from there.

It is not incredibly time-consuming to mail away for vital records, but it can be if I must go through deeds and probate. The search continues!

2 comments:

  1. Hello
    I am also trying to locate info on Nathan Taft b. 1773 Uxbridge, Ma.
    I had a 3rd g grandmother Sally/Sarah Ann Taft who was supposedly the 1st daughter of Nathan and Sally/Sarah Kempton Taft. I can't locate any birth or death records on any of them. I believe Sally may have been born in Uxbridge possibly in 1798 or 99 and the family moved to burrillville, R.I. I am planning to go to Burrillville to see if I can find any land or probates for Nathan but am not feeling confident. O have emailed the Mayflower Society and have gotten a couple of suggestions but have not helped as yet. Any help from you will be appreciated and I will do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please email me at autumndivona@juno.com and I'll be glad to help you work out your dilemma!

    I'm going to be in MA this summer for a couple of weeks and maybe will get a chance to get some work done then too.

    ReplyDelete