Friday, July 6, 2007

Mayflower Society Visit

Monday, June 25, 2007

So this was my first visit to the Society of Mayflower Descendants in Plymouth; specifically to their library.

It was a good day of research (I had some tiny success in probates), researching Mayflower lineages, and meeting Paul Bumpus - the librarian who had about 50-something lineages (20-something proven!).He's a very cool guy; efficient, intelligent, and well-organized.

One of the volunteers suggested we go toe-to-toe on lineages (mine number in the 60's). But Paul was cool about the whole thing and would like to see me get them all proved. I will Paul. :-) Meeting you inspired me to work even harder on my supplementals!

David joined me on this journey and we enjoyed the atmosphere of beautiful Plymouth. We paused for lunch at Papa Gino's (a New England MUST for us), then drove the rest of the way to Manomet where I showed David the hidden White Horse Cemetery and plunged into Manomet Cemetery on a hunt for my Griswold ancestors.

Unfortunately, neither George Emery Griswold nor his wife, Rebecca (Parks), are buried there. Well, that's just another reason to return to Plymouth in the near future (like October for the Bartlett Society reunion!!!).

On Sunday the 24th, I had also revisited the cemeteries in Plympton where my Wood and Haley families are buried.

No comments:

Post a Comment